Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Few Armenian Recipes

When I eat at my home stay, my host mother/sister cooks; I haven’t made anything for myself! But here are recipes for some of my favorite Armenian foods so far, from the Peace Corps Armenia cookbook (along with my comments). Looking at the cookbook has me looking forward to cooking for myself again – when I get back.

SPAS
Note – macun is the yogurt here; I wonder if Greek-style yogurt would be the closest thing available at home.
Սպաս/spas (sometimes pronounced səpas).
Ingredients: ½ C wheat (or rice), 1-2 T flour, 1 L մածուն/macun (well-stirred), 1 onion (sautéed or raw: optional), 1-2 C cold water, chopped fresh cilantro (optional), 1 egg (beaten)
o Cook the wheat as you would cook rice. When finished, remove from heat and let cool a little. Add the մածուն/macun, water, egg, and flour. Mix well, until there are no lumps and it doesn’t separate.
o Heat on a low flame, stirring constantly to avoid separation of մածուն/macun and water. When the soup boils, add the onion and cilantro. Let boil for 5 minutes, watching closely (it will boil over) and stirring constantly.

DOLMA
Note – there’s a “summer” (or Lenten, i.e. vegetarian) dolma too – I have not had this yet, but when I do (and I am sure I will like it) I will post a recipe!
Ingredients: grape leaves or cabbage leaves or vegetables, 300 g butter (cut small), 1 kg ground beef, 2 C chopped fresh herbs, 4 big onions (chopped), pinch of salt, 1 t red pepper paste, ¼ C dried cilantro, 1 T tomato paste, 1½ C uncooked rice
o If using grape leaves, use canned grape leaves. If using cabbage, boil it first to soften, then peel off the leaves.
o Combine everything except wrapping material to make a fine mixture. Roll a small amount of mixture into the leaves or stuff the vegetables.
o Line the bottom of a large pot with dolma; invert a plate over the dolma; cover the dolma with about 2 inches of water above and boil until the water boils down to the level of the dolma. Serve with garlic and yogurt; makes 50-70.

KATNOV
Note - my host mother/sister made this with added pumpkin – yum!
Ingredients: 200 g milk, 80 g rice (⅓ C), ½ g cinnamon, sugar to taste
o Pour rice into boiling milk and cook over low heat, stirring from time to time.
o When rice is cooked, add sugar, and cinnamon. Can be served both warm and cooled.

ARMENIAN COFFEE
Note – I might have to bring a jazzve home!
Ingredients (per person): 1 demitasse cup of water, 1 t finely (finely!) ground coffee (i.e. Armenian style), ½ t sugar
o Place water, coffee, and sugar in a jazzve (long-handled coffee pot), and place over medium-high heat. Coffee and sugar will dissolve in the water and a slight foam will form on top. The coffee will appear to thicken slightly before it begins to simmer around the edges. Hold it at this state for about a minute, watch carefully to be sure it does not boil over.

More recipes to come.

4 comments:

  1. All sound yummy --- let me know when you are back and in the mood to make an Armenian feast!!
    FYI - when my mom used to make stuffed cabbage, she would freeze the head of cabbage - then defrost it to soften the leaves --- much easier than boiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good tip! It may require a better freezer than exists here.... I love the idea of cooking together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. peace corp in armenia? sounds like something I'm interested in. how do I join? email me artemis520 gmail com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more! recipes

    ReplyDelete