Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What I'm Taking... and What I'm Leaving Behind

One of my favorite parts of the Peace Corps Welcome Books is the country-specific packing lists, put together with recommendations from PCVs. Some of the things I’ve bought as a result of looking at the list and/or thinking about what I might encounter:

o Skirts. I left most of the skirts I wore in Morocco in the Philippines. I sense that this is a job that calls for skirts. So I bought a couple of new ones (at T.J. Maxx – not my usual store, but in this economy… and I can leave them in Armenia. Not to mention that in more fashionable stores, it’s hard to find long skirts, which are culturally appropriate!).
o Cold-weather gear – long underwear, glove liners, wool socks, a new winter coat, (though my double-fleece jellaba would probably do the trick, I felt like getting something puffy), fleece pullovers (I really don’t have a lot of cold-weather clothes that aren’t in storage!), boots, Yaktrax (Peace Corps may supply these, but I found that out after I bought them – and besides, I used them for my Berkshires hikes!).
o Shoes. I am not a shoe person but Sydney said that people look at your shoes. If I can, I’ll wear my Merrells and Tevas most of the time (I’m all about comfort!), but if I can’t, I have a slightly dressier pair (or maybe two…).
o Jane’s Crazy Mixed-Up Salt. I’ve never brought spices, though all Welcome Books seem to recommend it. I compromised this time, with one all-purpose shaker.
o A good towel (I’m resisting buying sheets because the book says I can get them there, but I hope I don’t regret that… on the other hand, I did buy a silk sleeping bag liner and a fleece sleeping bag liner).
o I’m still finalizing my clothes – even though I’ll be there a short amount of time, I have to span the seasons. When I go back for Reunions (one of the things I determined I can’t live without; already have my ticket, using miles) I can bring back any winter stuff I want to keep and maybe some Homeland Handicrafts items. But I’m not planning to leave anything here to bring back to Armenia after that weekend – I’m taking it all with me now.
o I will have internet access, per the job description, and I’m bringing my computer. If I had known then what I know now, I’d have brought one with me to Morocco from the get-go – I’m just glad I was able to have one brought to me relatively early in my service! I set up my iPhone to work there as well, for infrequent calls and texts to and from the U.S., though I’m bringing the Morocco phone for local use, hoping that I can get a SIM card for it there.
o A few more things I might buy if I have the chance – measuring cup and spoons, pillowcases (I am bringing my pillow), a travel iron (along with nice shoes, people expect you to be pressed – but if that’s the case, I can probably get an iron there).

The big green suitcase strikes again! As I decide what goes and what stays, I’m trying to minimize, but I have never been one to travel light. I think I could fit everything in one suitcase but shoes and the like are heavy. Given that I had to purchase an extra bag at JFK last year because mine was overweight, I think that I will offload some heavy items into an extra bag before I leave! And if that means that my suitcase is not stuffed, I may have room for the medical kit and other items that I’ll get during my three-day orientation!

As for what I’m leaving behind – well, I’m trying not to dwell on it, but I have a comfortable life right now. I’ve been back from Morocco for two years now, and I still don’t take it for granted that hot water comes out of the faucet. I don’t know anything about my housing yet, but I’m trying to prepare for no hot water. I have several routines that I’ve gotten used to (eating, personal care, exercise) and that I’ll miss. I’ll follow another baseball season from afar, and with the Bears and the Jets both still in it, I might miss an interesting Super Bowl. Of course, I’ll miss my friends – I’ve seen and talked to many since my return but every visit and conversation seemed too short. I don’t know what else I’ll miss until I get there…. And as I said, it’s best not to dwell on it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment